Hello my lovelies!
So this post is actually inspired by a lecture I had a few weeks ago, on ethics in the fashion industry, and it really got me thinking.
So as you probably know…I’m a veggie, dun dun dun*insert dramatic music*
Which means I’m very passionate about the environment (as well as the welfare of animals) and the fashion industry produces a hell of a lot of waste due to the nature of mass production and trends.
You might not know this but I hate wasting things, be it: money, food, time, energy, etc.. I’ve also never really bought into trends that much, if I like it and it suits me I’ll buy it, not because Kylie Jenner’s been papped wearing something similar or sh*t like that. And if you know me, my taste is essentially anything that is: blue, vintage, floral, lace or embroidered. I’ll still be wearing flowery dresses when they’re wheeling me about in old people’s home come 2070-something or whenever my body decides to give up.
So I’m making a pledge and I think you should too.
- We should only buy things that actually suit us not just because it looks good on your favourite celebrity because funnily enough, they’re a different person, probably with a completely different body type and skin tone.
- Now this one goes against my hopes of a future career being a marketer but you should also buy fewer things that are higher quality and actually wear them. (I know I love Primark too but we both know the quality isn’t quite there and it encourages you to buy large quantities of cheap clothing.
- Don’t buy anything that you know for sure you will only wear once.
- Repair things, now I’m not talking about sock because ain’t nobody got time for that! But a ripped seam can often be fixed.
- Charity shop!
- Borrow and lend clothes, like a third of my wardrobe used to be my sister’s.
- Chop things up and make something else! Don’t like that T-shirt anymore? Cut the sleeves off, make it into a crop top, wash your windows with it, I don’t care just use it!
Now I’ll admit this post was also inspired by a cheeky purchase that I made yesterday, I bought my first pair of Dr Martens, some Mary Jane’s I’ve had my eye on for a while. But I can justify this purchase, as they’re a classic style that forever will be a style associated with feminity and docs are made to last for years and years, I know I will wear them to death! Be it with frilly socks or tights!
Should you think about what you buy too?
p.s I know I’m probably a bad veggie for buying leather shoes, I normally buy faux, it’s just I want them to last! Please don’t hate me for it.